Improving the Future of Immigrants One Case at a Time

Our experienced team will work with you to begin your American journey.

Immigration Legal Services in Manhattan

Assisting New York Clients with Family-Based Immigration, Employment-Based Immigration, Immigration Litigation, and More

When choosing an immigration lawyer, you need someone who cares about your case as much as you do. At John Nicelli & Associates, our team has over 30 years of immigration legal experience that we leverage to achieve positive results for our clients. We also understand that a decision in an immigration case can radically transform the client’s and their loved ones’ lives. We constantly do everything in our power to get them a successful outcome.

Attorney John A. Nicelli and our team offers immigration legal services in Manhattan across a number of categories. We have a thorough understanding of the systems involved backed by decades of hands-on experience and cases won. If you are experiencing an immigration problem or are seeking a green card, we can likely help. After reviewing the facts, our team is always realistic with our clients about legal solutions available and their likelihoods of success.

Family Immigration and Family Petitions

United States citizens and lawful permanent residents have the unique and powerful ability to sponsor certain types relatives for their own green cards. This can lead to family members becoming lawful permanent residents themselves and, eventually, even citizens.

Relatives are categorized into “immediate” or “preference” relatives based on the nature of the familial relationship and whether you are a citizen or lawful permanent resident. Preference relatives are subject to an annual visa cap and long wait times, making smart legal strategy especially important.

Family immigration involving marriages can also be more challenging. United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will seek to verify the authenticity of your relationship, which requires documentation and a thorough, in-person interview.

We can potentially help you with your complex immigration matter. Call (212) 227-8020 or contact us online to get started.

Our Services

Employment Immigration

Most employment-based green cards require an offer of employment from a qualifying United States employer. However, USCIS only allocates a limited number of work visas per year, with demand sometimes outstripping supply.

Our team can work with you and your sponsoring employer to file Form I-140, the Petition for an Alien Immigrant Worker, which must first be approved by USCIS before you can formally seek a green card. Should you face problems with Form I-140, we can help you and your employer reapply or appeal.

If you are outside of the United States and have not previously violated any U.S. Immigration law, it is possible to be sponsored through employment to enter the United States as a permanent resident.

We are also able to help you with temporary, nonimmigrant work visas of various types. Our attorney is prepared to help you achieve your career goals regardless of the complexity of your case.

H-1B Special Work Visas

H-1B is a special, “dual intent” work visa that permits temporary entry into the United States for qualifying employment positions. It can also serve as a path to pursuing more permanent immigration options, including green cards.

In order to qualify, H-1B applicants must have an offer of employment from a U.S. employer for a job that requires a high level of education – usually a Bachelor’s degree or higher – or some level of specialized, hands-on knowledge. It is commonly used for computer programming and engineering roles, as well as many other professions.

Citizenship & Naturalization

Becoming a United States citizen entitles you to numerous benefits including the ability to vote in elections.

The naturalization process can be arduous and complex. We can guide you through each step of the process, including assisting in the completion of Form N-400, preparing you for the naturalization interview and exam, and representing you in all communications with USCIS.

Waivers of Inadmissibility

If an immigrant is rendered inadmissible as a result of some offense, they are barred from legally reentering the country, even if they otherwise qualify for legal means of immigration. Waivers of inadmissibility can help immigrants in certain categories overcome these bans and remain in the United States.

Common grounds for inadmissibility include unlawful entry into the country, accumulating too much unlawful presence, criminal convictions, public charge concerns, health and safety concerns, and past deportation orders. However, some types of inadmissibility do not have waivers available.

We can help you pursue many types of waivers of inadmissibility, including:

  • Form I-601A, the Waivers of Grounds of Admissibility – this waiver once granted, permits noncitizens to reenter the U.S. through legal immigration avenues after having accumulated unlawful presence in the United States for more than six months.
  • Form I-601, the Waivers of Grounds of Admissibility- this waiver is used to be forgiven for past actions some of which may have involved a crime, misrepresentation, unlawful presence, and other issues.
  • Form I-212, the Application to Reapply for Admission to the United States – this application formally requests noncitizens be permitted to apply for legal immigration tools after being deported.
  • Waivers for Criminal Records – these can be obtained in situations where the noncitizen has been sufficiently rehabilitated and the infractions occurred more than 15 years ago; they can also be issued if the noncitizen’s parent, spouse, or fiancé is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and would endure extreme hardship if the applicant is not readmitted.
  • Waivers for Criminal Records – these can be obtained in situations where the noncitizen has been sufficiently rehabilitated and the infractions occurred more than 15 years ago; They can also be issued if the noncitizen’s parent, spouse, or fiancé is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and would endure extreme hardship if the applicant is not readmitted to the U.S.

Immigration Litigation

If you have received a Notice to Appear (NTA), you are at risk of being removed from the country through deportation proceedings. Our founding attorney spent several years exclusively defending clients from deportation and is intimately familiar with the tools that can assist you in your case.

Some of the deportation/removal relief options we can help you explore include:

  • Bond Hearings – if you have been detained as a result of your removal proceedings, we may be able to facilitate a bond hearing to get you released; We can work with the court to set the lowest bond amount possible in order to reduce any financial hardship.
  • Cancellation of Removal – often the ideal scenario, this refers to the act of reversing the attempt to deport you on the grounds established in your NTA; Generally requires proving you have “good moral character” and can demonstrate extreme and unusual hardship to your qualifying relative who are U.S Citizen or Permanent Residents, spouse, minor children or parents, in the event you are ordered removed from the United States.
  • Adjustment of Status – if you have only overstayed your visa past its expiration or otherwise qualify for some form of legal immigration, we can sometimes halt removal proceedings by simply applying to adjust or change your status before the Immigration Court.
  • U-Visas – if you have been the victim of domestic abuse, or certain qualifying crimes, this special classification of visa allows you to file for your permanent residence based on your cooperation with law enforcement.
  • Asylum – one can be designated an asylee if they have a well-founded fear of persecution in their home country as a result of their belonging to a protected class or identifying factor, like gender, religious beliefs, or race.
  • Voluntary Departure – negotiating to depart the country on your own terms, if necessary, can give you more options for legally reentering the country in the future.

Nonimmigrant Visas

If you are only seeking to do temporary business, vacation, or otherwise visit the United States, you will need a nonimmigrant visa. Some nonimmigrant visas nonetheless are “dual intent” visas, meaning they permit you to enter the country with the understanding that you may choose to apply for more permanent immigration options.

Our immigration legal services in Manhattan can assist you with many nonimmigrant visas, including:

  • K-1 Fiancé Visa – permits the fiancé or fiancée of a U.S. citizen to travel to the United States to complete a marital ceremony.
  • F-1 Student Visa – authorizes students to study full-time at accredited United States learning institutions.
  • B-1 Temporary Business Visa – enables the beneficiary the ability to travel to the U.S. and complete business of a limited nature in a set period of time; these visas are often used to facilitate travel for work conferences, the settling of estates, or the completion of important deals.
  • B-2 Tourism Visa – allows tourists to travel to the country to vacation or visit friends and family.
  • O-1 Extraordinary Ability Visa – authorizes those who can demonstrate “extraordinary” abilities or achievements, and the ability to work in a capacity related to their specialized field.

No Matter Your Immigration Problem, We Can Help

At John Nicelli & Associates, our legal services in Manhattan cover the full range of immigration issues. Whether you need help obtaining a tourism visa to visit your family, navigating the naturalization process, or defending against removal proceedings, our team can work with you to achieve your goals. Our team is well-versed in each area of immigration law, including litigation, family-based immigration, and employment-based immigration. We keep up to date with evolving legislation governing these areas and will do everything possible to pursue a successful outcome in your case.

Hire legal representation that will give your case the respect and integrity it deserves. Call (212) 227-8020 or contact us online. We offer our services in English, Spanish, Polish, and Portuguese.

Client Experiences

  • Thank you guys for what you have done for me!

    “I highly appreciated their advice and time taken and would recommend this law firm to anyone.”

    - Giuseppe S.
  • I would recommend his services to anyone.

    “Everyone wants an attorney through this daunting process that can act as your friend and advocate, and thankfully New York City has Mr. Nicelli!”

    - Jeremy G.
  • Amazing!

    “Amazing! LGBT friendly, he worked with my case and we received everything so quickly. I live in NJ and came all the way to NY so he could work on my case. He is also working on my mother's case and he ...”

    - Agustina G.
  • Highly professional & truly amazing lawyer.

    “Mr. John Nicelli was honest and did not promise us unrealistic results like other immigration lawyers.”

    - Boleck L.
  • John Nicelli is a GREAT LAWYER, he got my wife processed after we got married.

    “John Nicelli is a GREAT LAWYER, he got my wife processed after we got married. I am so greatful that my life has changed thanks to John Nicelli. I tried others who took my money and did nothing. John ...”

    - George L.

Immigration Approached With Honesty & Integrity

Schedule a Consultation Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.